Ankle Sprain/Strain injuries are common amongst athletes, weekend warriors and the general population. They occur when you "roll" your ankle too fast and with too much force in either an outward (eversion) or inward (inversion) motion
Here at On Point Chiropractic, we have successfully treated many patients with these injuries. Many people are surprised that chiropractors also diagnose and treat injuries outside of the spine. In an acute ankle injury, it is very important not to "wait it out."
It is highly recommended to seek care immediately in order to have a thorough evaluation to rule out extensive tissue damage/fracture, ensure successful recovery, and minimize the risk of re-injury.
When too much force is placed on the ankle, sprain/strain injuries are common. Ankle sprain/strain injuries are treated in our office using:
- Soft tissue techniques to release muscle spasms and tightness guarding the ankle.
- Kinesiology taping to help reduce swelling and provide additional support without compromising mobility.
- Therapeutic modalities such as electrical stimulation to assist in the healing process and reduce pain.
- IASTM to assist in normal ligamentous and soft tissue recovery.
- Therapeutic exercises to help strengthen and support the ankle joint to reduce the risk of re-injury.
- Normatec compression to flush inflammation, promote circulation, and reduce pain.
Sprains involving the inside of the ankle are often associated with significant tissue damage. Patients with limited ankle dorsiflexion/mobility are up to five times more likely to suffer lateral ankle sprains.